Trivia Questions #50
Food and Drink
(This page was last updated on March 23, 2012.)
1. Which of the following sauces is usually served with roast lamb? Cranberry sauce, or mint sauce, or honey mustard?
Answer: mint sauce
2. Besides being the name of Russia's tradition liquor, "vodka" is also the ordinary Russian word for what?
3. In what state capital would all the bars stock Lone Star beer and Eigenbach Amber?
Answer: Austin, Texas
4. The most popular beer in Kenya has an elephant for its logo. Name that beer.
5. In what country is Moosehead beer brewed?
6. Name the clear Greek liqueur that turns milky white when you add water to it.
7. What is the characteristic fruit used to flavor the liqueur called Cointreau?
8. What is the characteristic flavoring used in the liqueur called Tia Maria?
9. What is the characteristic flavoring used in the liqueur call Amaretto?
10. What is the characteristic flavoring used in the liqueur called Maraschino?
11. Name the oldest whiskey distillery in the world.
Answer: Bushmill's (in business since 1608)
12. What kind of liquor is sold under the brand name Jose Cuervo?
13. Grey Goose and Finlandia are brand names of what kind of liquor?
14. What animal appears on the label of Bacardi rum? A bat, a lion, or an eagle?
Answer: a bat
15. What is the name of the Latin American drink made from red wine poured over chunks of pineapple, oranges, strawberries, and mangoes?
16. Arroz con pollo (POY-yo) is a Latin American dish made of what?
Answer: chicken and rice
17. What kind of food has the French name fromage (froh-MAHJ)?
18. So what is the Spanish word for cheese?
Answer: queso (KAY-so)
19. What is the Spanish word for fish?
20. What kind of meat is in a Reuben sandwich?
Answer: corned beef
21. What is the Spanish word for beans?
Answer: frijoles (free-HOLE-ees)
22. What is the Spanish word for eggs?
Answer: huevos (HWAY-voes)
23. What berry is used in the distilling of gin?
Answer: juniper berries
24. Sometimes the Brits call it black pudding and sometimes they call it what?
Answer: blood pudding
25. These legumes come out of a Heinz can and are covered with a tomato sauce. What do we call them in the South?
Answer: baked beans
26. Patties of mashed potato mixed with chunks of leftover vegetables are fried in oil. What do the Brits call this food item?
Answer: bubble and squeak
27. What we call french fries, the English call what?
28. In the British Isles the best selling brown sauce for meats is a brand called "HP." What does HP stand for?
Answer: Houses of Parliament
29. Most Chinese restaurant menus offer chunks of deep-fried battered chicken dipped in a red sauce containing both honey and rice vinegar. Under what name?
Answer: sweet and sour chicken
30. Name the Chinese soup that has little chunks of meat covered with dough floating in it.
Answer: wonton soup
31. What white wine labels from Germany traditionally contain a picture of the Baby Jesus and his mother Mary?
Answer: liebfraumilch labels
32. Translate liebfraumilch (LEEB-frow-milk), the name of a German white wine, into English?
Answer: "the Blessed Mother's milk"
33. What bright red object is depicted on the traditional label of Heineken beer?
Answer: a five-pointed star
34. What specific kind of musical instrument appears on the traditional label of Guiness stout?
Answer: an Irish harp (The word "Irish" must be a part of this answer.)
35. A buxom blonde barmaid with three large flagons of beer in each hand is depicted on the traditional logo of what beer brand?
Answer: St. Pauli Girl
36. In the Anheuser-Busch logo, what is the eagle holding in his talons?
37. What animal appears in the logo of Killian's Irish Red, a lager beer originally from the Emerald Isle?
Answer: a horse
38. You can find what Nashville pub and music club at night by spotting the guitar with a cowboy hat covering the tuning pegs atop its lighted sign?
Answer: The Stage on Broadway