Trivia Questions #41
Notice extra miscellaneous questions at the bottom of this page.
Music and Musicology
(This page last updated on February 29, 2012)
1. The highest-pitched string on a standard guitar tuned normally is tuned to what note?
2. From low to high, name the four notes recorded on the four spaces of a standard treble clef.
3. From low to high, name the five notes recorded on the five lines of a standard treble clef.
4. The lowest-pitched string on a standard guitar tuned normally is tuned to what note?
5. Which three notes form the triad of the C-major chord?
Answer: C, E, and A
6. How many sharps are in the key signature for the key of A-minor?
Answer: None (and there are no flats either; the A-minor scale is played on all white keys.)
7. How many flats are there in the key signature for the key of D-minor?
8. In a modern symphony orchestra, what instrument does the concert master play?
9. A singer or instrumentalist who sings or plays notes slightly higher than the proper pitch is said to be what?
10. A singer or instrumentalist who sings or plays notes slightly lower than the proper pitch is said to be what?
11. What flat is the same note as C-sharp?
12. The notation fff (triple-F) on sheet music instructs the performer to do what?
Answer: to play very loudly
13. His skill on what instrument made C. Power Biggs a famous musical performer?
Answer: the organ
14. The jazz great Charley "Yardbird" Parker was a virtuoso performer on what instrument?
Answer: the saxophone
15. A Texan named Van Cliburn was a virtuoso performer on what instrument?
Answer: the piano
16. The jazz great Miles Davis was a virtuoso performer on what instrument?
Answer: the trumpet
17. Born in France to Chinese parents, the French-American Yo Yo Ma is a virtuoso performer on what instrument?
Answer: the cello
18. Who was the lead singer of the group Led Zeppelin?
Answer: Robert Plant
19. Name the Grand Ole Opry star who is universally considered "the Father of Bluegrass."
Answer: Bill Monroe
20. Glen Miller, the famous band leader and composer of the Big Band Era, started his musical career playing what instrument?
21. Name the two Grand Ole Opry musicians whose recording of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" became a big hit during the 1970's.
Answer: Flatt and Scruggs
22. What was the nickname of the really obese girl singer from the yesteryear group called The Mamas and the Papas"?
Answer: "Mama Cass"
23. What is the real name of the Rolling Stones guitarist nicknamed "Keef"?
Answer: Keith Richards
24. What instrument did Gene Simmons play for the group Kiss?
25. What kind of musical instrument is known as "the Mighty Wurlitzer"?
Answer: the organ
26. Name the light classical overture that is the traditional theme song of the Lone Ranger.
Answer: "The William Tell Overture"
27. Name the keyboard instrument that makes hammers hit small metal plates to produce a tinkling sound.
Answer: the celeste (suh-LEST)
Check this page frequently. I add questions regularly.