1. For what art, craft, profession, or occupation is an ancient Greek named Aristophanes
2. In which of Shakespeare's plays does Birnam Wood come to Dunsinane?
3. What word or phrase in the following sentence is the complete direct object of the sentence? "The kindly store manager generously gave the homeless man a bag of Krystal hamburgers."
4. Name the 20th Century American composer who wrote Rhapsody in Blue, An American in Paris and Porgy and Bess.
5. Who was assassinated on the Ides of March in 44 B.C.?
6. Name the first city on earth ever to be destroyed by an atomic bomb.
7. Name the man from Tennessee who followed John Quincy Adams as U.S. president.
8. In the U.S. during the 1920's, the term "flapper" referred to which of the following -- a place to buy illegal liquor? an unconventional young woman who smoked and drank in public? a Model A Ford? or a man who laid railroad track?
9. What do political scientists mean by the term "plutocracy"?
10. What do lawyers mean by the term "double jeopardy"?
11. On which continent does one find the small country known as Botswana?
12. Name the largest city in Florida.
13. The term homo erectus refers to which of the following -- a homosexual male? a human spinal column? an early ancestor of human beings? or a small ape from Malaysia?
14. What does an economist mean by "legal tender"?
15. What term do chemists use to refer to a substance that causes a chemical reaction to occur but which is not itself changed by the reaction?
16. If the radius of a circle is tripled, what happens to the area of the circle?
17. Is limestone a sedimentary rock, an igneous rock, or a metamorphic rock?
18. The thyroid, the pancreas, the adrenal glands and the testes are all part of what system of bodily organs?
19. What kind of tainted meat causes the disease known as trichinosis?
20. What is usual name given to a device that monitors and automatically responds to changes in temperature and activates switches controlling devices such as furnaces or air conditioners?
21. Name the city where Jesus spent his childhood and teenage years.
22. The Romans called him Jupiter. What did the Greeks call him?
23. What is the Spanish word for "house"?
24. Mephistopheles is the name of which of the following -- one of Satan's most powerful assistant devils? an ancient Roman writer of plays? a prose work by John Milton? or an ancient Greek musical instrument?
25. What religion has sub-groups called Sunnis and Shiites?
Click here to check answers.
Return to site guide on main page.