Make your own free website on

1. What is the difference between a passport and a visa?
A passport is a little booklet issued by your own government which identifies you as a citizen in good standing and which requests the officials of other countries to treat you properly while you are traveling in those other countries.

A visa is a document or stamp added to the blank pages of your passport by officials of a country that has given you permission to enter that country. Most visas indicate the date on which you arrive and the date on which the visa expires.

2. What kinds of US visas can you obtain?
Just as there are many reasons people wish to visit the US, there are also many different types of US visas.
3. Where can I get detailed advice about how to get an F1 student visa?
Everything that we learn about what actually happens during the visa application process is summarized for you at How To Earn An American College Degree.
4. What can you do if you violate the terms of your visa?
Immigration law in the U.S. says that you are presumed to be an intending immigrant unless you can prove otherwise. That means that you are presumed to be an illegal immigrant if you violate the conditions of your visa category.

If you are on a student visa and you fall out of status, you may be able to file for reinstatement. See your international student advisor for details on reinstatement.

Remember this: to be in good status as a student you must be a full-time student for approximately nine months of each calendar year and you must not accept employment without prior authorization of INS.